“My daughter is 18 years of age and I am noticing that her hair is turning white, What shall we do?”This is a question that gets asked often enough for me to write an article about.
Yes, it is true that certain people have a different hair cycle and different genes. However it is not of the norm to have hair turning grey at such a young age.
First thing you need to know is this :
Why does hair turn white?The hair turns white because of the decrease in the melanin.
Second things that occurs is …
What is a melanin?A melanin is that pigment that imparts a black and brown color to your hair.
Third thing that one may ask is this ..
Then how does GREY hair appear?Simple. The mixture of the white hair (which is white due to loss of pigments) and the black pigment from the melanin adds up to having grey hair.
As far as one shall know is that the normal age for grey hair is not the same for everyone. This is due to different races. Therefore one should know that for the Caucasians grey hair starts to make an appearance in the mid-thirties . For the Asian race at the late thirties and in the African race mid-forties . One shall take immediate action and get a doctor to consult them once they see white hair at an early age. By early age we mean : 20 years old on Caucasians, 25 years old on Asians and 30 years old on Africans.
Let’s Take A Look What Can Be The Cause Of Early Grey Hair
- When premature grey hair is inherited, which means either your parents, siblings or any other relative have had grey hair at a young age. In this case it is not an abnormal thing to have grey hair due to genetics.
- Grey hair is common in those who have autoimmune disease such as hypothyroidism.
- Premature ageing syndrome such as progeria and pangeria can be the cause of early grey hair, which is commonly expected.
- Allergies such as in lungs (asthma), nose (allergic rhinitis) , eyes (allergic conjunctivitis) skin (atopic dermatitis)
- Loss of protein such as iron, folic acid, copper, vitamin B12 , C, D, E, zinc and so on..
- Stress. Nope it is unfortunate to announce that this was never just a myth. Daily stress will not turn your hair grey but shocking news, trauma and intense stress such as : very difficult high level exams, stressful relationships problems and so on can cause reversible grey hair.
- Medication can also be the cause to grey land – Take a look at the following drugs that may make you age earlier:
Epidermal growth factor receptor inhibitor
- Medical disorders such as HIV and fibrosis.
- Smoking and drug abuse will definitely not help by all means.
- Breathing in pollution, UV rays, Harsh chemicals etc.. might damage the pigment forming the cell of hair that leads to premature hair.
Is It Possible To Reduce Grey Hair?
Indeed it is let’s take a quick look on how one can prevent adding more then we already have. Such hair is usually frizzier. rougher and stiffer so it can be harder to style in place.
- Less blow dries as air drying is the best for such hair.
- Prevent hot irons such as straighteners as these equipment will make the hair frizzier.
- Harsh chemicals can be avoided too. Especially if the chemicals touches the roots and get absorbed into the hair roots where the pigment forming cells are located.
- Spas that promise to turn your hair black are unlikely to help. and so are shampoos. However colored shampoos can be of help if your whites aren’t intensive.
- Coloring the roots to hide whites is a must, however it shall be done in a sage way : 1)The longer gap between coloring appointments the better. 2) Pay for a salon visit it is much better that hair dye will be done by professionals rather than many tries at home. 3) Highlighting is much more preferred to blend in the whites rather than dyeing to hide the whites. And highlights can be done minimum of per six months.
Home Remedies For Grey Hair
Curry leaves and coconut oil – curry leaves has high vitamins and coconut oil has nourishing properties and together they work brilliantly for grey hair.
Tea – Boil some tea, strain and use the cold water to rinse your hair. Do not get to worried
if your hair changes to black, it is only temporary.
Coffee– By boiling coffee leaving it to cool ans rinsing your hair with it will give you a temporary dark brown color.
Henna – A natural hair color that gives red highlights to dark hair however since we are doing this on white hair using henna may turn those lights to an orange color instead. However you can mix the mixture of the tea of coffee to avoid the orange color in your hair.