Now we have been seeing this all around internet and wondered, but how can a simple thing such as rice water, that is usually known to go down the drain be so beneficial to our hair? How does it work ? What are the benefits ? Until we decided to give it a try ourselves. We have been using it for quite some time now, and when ever we wash our hair, each and every one of us never skip this technique. Nevertheless today is the day we decided to share the benefits and method with you.
What Is Rice Water?
We are going to start from explaining what is rice water. Yes you are guessing correctly treatment is simply the water you rinse your rice in. The same water that you usually put down the drain. Well do not do that anymore. As now you know that that water can be reused. This method is known to make the hair shiny, smooth and also helps the hair grow faster from the root. Women in Japan , China and Southern Asia has been using this method for centuries, And hair hair is proof enough. Chinese and Japanese hair is one of the most expensive hair in the world. Now It is time for us Americans and the Europeans to try this method too.
How To Make Rice Water
Plain rice water is easy to make. Get about one to four cups of rice, depending on the length of your hair. The longer it is the more cups you shall ass. However about four cups shall be enough. With those cups of rice add up to two eight cups of water, again depending on the length and thickness of your hair. After a few tries you will manage to get the right exact amount of use by heart, Mix the two ingredients together and let the rice soak in water for about 1 hour minimum. The longer you leave it to soak the better. In fact over night works great. As you can see the difference from 30 minutes to one hour soaking. The more the water is of a white color the better the results. When the time is up strain the water into a spray bottle for you to use right away.
Now our favorite method here is the fermented rice water. The fermented method is done the same way as we have explained above. The same exact steps, but instead of using it right away you shall leave in in the bottle for a few days in a room temperature storage or room. Remember this can not go bad or rot in anyway because it is just water. Nevertheless once again you will be able to see the difference in the water between the plain method and the fermented. As the fermented water will leave traces of white substance at the bottom of the bottle. We seem to think that this method is more effective.
Less Recommended : Boiling Water
Now many people will also tell you that you can use boiling water. And that is absolutely true, you can. However we are telling you not to. And we will explain why. Firstly let us get into how the boiling rice water is done. This is done the same way you cook rice, you use an amount of ingredient depending on how many people are eating , you boil the rice and instead of straining it into the kitchen sink, you will be straining the boiling rice water into a clean bowl to use for that same day. And then you serve the rice. Now here is what is wrong with this method.
- Before boiling the rice people normally rinse it as you do not eat the rice without rinsing due to the starch it contains, leaving the rice a bit gummy and gooey if you do not rinse properly before cooking. Due to the rinsing you are straining away the good that shall be actually used as for the treatment.
- When Boiling the rice you are boiling and killing all the good benefits the rice contains. Hence why we prefere to use the plain rice method or the fermented method , as no natural ingredient are boiled to be destroyed.
- Boiling water on the scalp – Now does that sound right and healthy ? The hair is a fragile thing that must be taken care of. We suggest that hot tools will be avoided let alone boiling water. .This point is of course valid to all those who use boiling water right away with the mid-lengths to ends of the hair.
Benefits Of The Rice And Water Treatment
Now we did cover some of the benefits earlier, however that is not all. This treatment is capable of :
- Smoothing the hair
- Increase shine
- Strengthens the hair
- Helps with hair growth
- Detangles the hair
- And some have also found that helps with color hold as well.
Tip : One can store small bottles of rice water which will turn into fermented water by time and use is as a detangle spray. Also keeping fermented rice water in bottles so you never run out. And instead of straining away the used water of rice you keep saving it for the next wash. It will seem like a waste now that you know the good benefits of it.
Rice gains contain about eighty percent of starch. And the water that is mixed with the rice, is now starchy water with lots of vitamins such as:
- Amino Acid
- B Vitamins
- Vitamin E
- Antioxidants – substances that can slow damage and sometimes even prevent it from our cells caused by the environment itself.
People who have uses rice water claim that even the grey hair did not show for as long as they turn eighty years old. Now this is gold. Better start taking care of the whites while you still can.
Using Raw Rice And Water
- Start by rinsing the hair
- Shampoo the hair once or twice depends on the need
- Spray the rice water all over the hair and scalp (Give the scalp a priority)
- Massage through the scalp and hair
- Leave on the water for about half an hour
- Rinse when the time is up
- Proceed with conditioner.
Tip : The longer you leave the rice water on the better. You can leave the treatment over night and rinse it in the morning if you please. Rice water is done on one or two shampoo so that it enters the cuticle while is open as the shampoo opens the cuticle. One shall proceed with conditioner so that the cuticle is once again closed.
Rice And Water For Conditioner
One can mix some rice water with some conditioner. Amount depends on the length of the hair once again.
- Rinse the hair with water
- Apply shampoo
- Rinse again
- Apply the conditioner with the rice and water mixture
- Leave over night
- Rinse in the morning